Make a Watermelon Keg & Fill it with Watermelon Boozie Juice
Make a Watermelon Keg
- Hose Bibb, Quarter Turn (that's the tap)
- Faucet Lock Nuts (those black circles)
- Brass Pipe Nipple ½" (the piece with threads on both ends)
- Coupling ½" (what looks like a hex nut)
- drill bit (optional)
- Saran wrap (or similar cling wrap)
- paring knife
- ice cream scoop (a spoon could work in a pinch)
- large bowl
- strainer / sieve
- vodka or your poison of choice
- Use your knife to cut the top off your melon.
- Try to keep the hole fairly small, but make sure it's big enough to stick your hand in.
- Make sure you cut on an angle (like you would if you were carving a pumpkin) so you can use the top as a lid without it falling in.
- You can cut a small notch out of the lid to make it easier to refill your melon after your guests inevitably finish off the original contents.
- Scoop out all of the delicious insides and set them aside.
- Using the drill bit, make a hole near the bottom of your melon. Be sure to put it on the prettiest side of your watemelon (this is, after all, what all your guests will be admiring).
- If you don't have a drill bit handy, a corkscrew would work.
- Using a paring knife, make the hole the same size as your coupling. Take your time with this step as you'll need a good fit if you don't want it to leak.
- Don't just shove your coupling in the hole as a bruised melon won't be watertight.
- Wash all the hardware.
- Screw your nipple into the coupling with one of the lock nuts in-between.
- Push the coupling through the melon.
- Place a small piece of saran wrap over the coupling and cut an opening in the middle. The plastic wrap should help prevent leaks.
- Screw on the tap with a lock nut between the tap and the coupling.
- Wrap the excess saran wrap around the edge of the lock nut and trim it so it looks pretty.
- Throw the watermelon guts into a blender and turn it into juice.
- Pour the juice through a strainer to get the worst of the pulpy bits out.
- Add a generous helping of vodka and stir.
- Put in watermelon, add ice and enjoy!
Hi! We are a mother daughter team, sharing our homes with you. Wonderful recipes, entertaining, cleaning and amazing tips will keep you coming back for more. We hope you enjoy.