- 1 pound roll pork breakfast sausage
- ½ cup of butter, bacon fat or vegetable/canola oil
- ¼ cup of all purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups of milk, more or less, as needed
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt, or to taste
- Brown sausage in a large skillet, breaking up and crumbling the meat as it cooks
- Once the meat is fully browned, stir in the butter or bacon fat to the skillet until melted.
- Sprinkle the flour on top of the meat and bring the pan up to a medium high heat.
- Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Slowly begin whisking in the first two cups of milk until fully incorporated and mixture begins to bubble. This will provide a fairly thick gravy.
- Continue whisking in additional milk a little bit at a time, until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Grind plenty of pepper directly into the gravy, add salt to taste, mix well.
- Serve over hot, split biscuits.
Recipe by At Home With My Honey at http://athomewithmyhoney.com/southern-sausage-gravy/