A rich and fluffy sticky date cake topped with powdered sugar.
Date Cake Recipe
- 2¼ cups chopped dates
- 1½ cups boiling water
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 5.3oz unsalted butter, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups self raising flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 320F
- Grease a 9x13 cake pan with cooking oil.
- Place dates and water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool a few minutes before adding bicarbonate of soda (it might fizz up a bit).
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy, add date mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add eggs and flour and mix until just combined.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over top of cake.
Hi! We are a mother daughter team, sharing our homes with you. Wonderful recipes, entertaining, cleaning and amazing tips will keep you coming back for more. We hope you enjoy.