Homemade Banana Cream Pie.
Banana Cream Pie
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tbs. shortening
- 2-3 Tbs. cold water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks - beaten (save the egg whites for topping)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 bananas - sliced
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- 6 Tbs. sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- In medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening (with pastry blender or 2 table knives) until coarse crumbles. Sprinkle with cold water 1 Tbs. at a time. Toss with fork until all flour is moistened. Gather pastry in a ball. Shape into flat disk about 1-2″ thick and wrap in plastic wrap. Fridge for 45 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven 475 degrees. Thaw pastry 5 minutes at room temperature. Roll 2 ” larger than an upside-down 9″ pie plate. Fold into fourths and place into pie plate. Unfold and crimp edges. Prick with fork the bottom and sides of the pastry with a fork. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add in the milk while stirring.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring constantly until it is thick and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for two minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Mix a small amount of the warm mixture in with the egg yolks to temper them. Then add the yolks into the saucepan with the rest of the mixture.
- Return to the heat and cook for an additional two minutes while stirring.
- Remove from the heat and add in the vanilla and butter. Stir to combine.
- Slice bananas and place into a cooled baked pastry shell.
- Beat eggs whites and cream of tartar on high until foamy. Beat in sugar 1 Tb. at a time. Beat until stiff and glossy. Beat in vanilla. Spoon onto top of pie filling. Spread and seal over the topping. Sprinkle the meringue lightly with sugar.
- Bake 8-12 minutes or light brown on top. Cool 2 hours. Cover and fridge until serving
Hi! We are a mother daughter team, sharing our homes with you. Wonderful recipes, entertaining, cleaning and amazing tips will keep you coming back for more. We hope you enjoy.